SEATTLE, WA— (club release) In the first-ever meeting between the two sides, Seattle Sounders FC (1-1-2, 5 points) and Atlanta United FC (2-1-1, 7 points) played to a scoreless draw Friday night in front of 40,182 fans and a nationally-televised audience on the Xbox Pitch at CenturyLink Field. Neither team found the back of the net despite a combined 24 shots, while Seattle goalkeeper Stefan Frei made three saves en route to his first shutout of the 2017 season. Seattle now takes its current three-match unbeaten streak (1-0-2) to the road next Saturday for a clash with the San Jose Earthquakes at Avaya Stadium (7:30 p.m. PT / Q13 FOX, Univision-Seattle, KIRO Radio 97.3 FM, El Rey 1360 AM).
MATCH PHOTOS: goalWA.net gallery by Wilson Tsoi
Despite taking 13 total shots and creating numerous chances in a frenetic match, Sounders FC couldn’t capitalize on its home-field advantage. Head Coach Brian Schmetzer was forced to make a lineup change after warmups, as starting central defender Chad Marshall was forced out of the match due to illness, providing an opportunity for second-year player Tony Alfaro to step into the team. Alfaro helped his backline preserve the club’s first clean-sheet of 2017, with former S2 player Jordy Delem making his first start for the senior squad at right-back.
Joevin Jones, Nicolás Lodeiro and Jordan Morris all started the match after returning from international duty this week. Clint Dempsey came off the bench in the 57th minute, while Román Torres was rested by Schmetzer.
Following the result, Sounders FC is unbeaten in 10 consecutive home matches in league play dating back to last season, which is the second-longest streak in club history. Seattle also went 3-0-0 at home during the 2016 MLS Cup Playoffs.
After three consecutive home games – including last weekend’s international friendly versus Necaxa, Seattle heads on the road for three-straight weeks, beginning with a trip to San Jose on Saturday, April 8 (7:30 p.m. PT / Q13 FOX, Univision-Seattle, KIRO Radio 97.3 FM, El Rey 1360 AM). Following their match at Avaya Stadium, the Rave Green continue Western Conference play at Vancouver on April 14 and at LA on April 23.
Seattle Sounders FC 0 – Atlanta United FC 0
Friday, March 31, 2017
Venue: Xbox Pitch at CenturyLink Field
Referee: Robert Sibiga
Assistants: CJ Morgante, Apolinar Mariscal
Fourth Official: Drew Fischer
Weather: 51 degrees and mostly sunny
ATL – Julian Gressel (caution) 20′
ATL – Yamil Asad (caution) 43′
LINEUPS & STATS
Seattle Sounders FC – Stefan Frei; Jordy Delem (Henry Wingo 80′), Gustav Svensson, Tony Alfaro, Joevin Jones; Osvaldo Alonso – captain, Cristian Roldan, Alvaro Fernandez (Clint Dempsey 57′), Nicolás Lodeiro, Harry Shipp (Will Bruin 90’+1′); Jordan Morris
Substitutes not used: Tyler Miller, Nouhou Tolo, Will Bruin, Henry Wingo
Total shots: 13 (Roldan, 3)
Shots on goal: 1 (Shipp, 1)
Fouls: 7 (Lodeiro, 3)
Offside: 4 (Morris, 2)
Corner-kicks: 6 (Lodeiro, 6)
Saves: 3 (Frei, 3)
Atlanta United FC – Alec Kann; Tyrone Mears, Leandro Gonzalez Pirez, Michael Parkhurst – captain, Greg Garza; Yamil Asad, Chris McCann (Carlos Carmona 73′), Jeff Larentowicz, Julian Gressel, Jacob Peterson (Miguel Almirón 65′); Hector Villalba (Kenwyne Jones 82′)
Substitutes not used: Kyle Reynish, Miles Robinson, Kevin Kratz, Mark Bloom
Total shots: 11 (Gressel, 4)
Shots on goal: 3 (3 players, 1)
Fouls: 18 (3 players, 3)
Offside: 2 (Garza/Mears, 1)
Corner-kicks: 3 (Asad, 2)
Saves: 1 (Kann, 1)
- Sounders FC is now 1-1-2 on the season and remains in sixth place in the Western Conference with five points.
- Friday’s match marks the first MLS matchup between the two sides. Seattle is 3-1-3 all-time in its first contest against expansion sides, including a 2-0-3 record at CenturyLink Field.
- Midfielder Jordy Delem made his MLS debut in 80 minutes of action at right back.
- The Martinique native signed a First Team contract in the offseason after spending 2016 with S2. He filled in for Chad Marshall, who was a late scratch due to illness.
- Joevin Jones, Nicolás Lodeiro and Jordan Morris all started the match after returning from international duty this week. Clint Dempsey came off the bench in the 57th minute, while Román Torres was rested by Head Coach Brian Schmetzer.
- Dating back to last season, Sounders FC is unbeaten in 10 consecutive home matches in league play, which is the second-longest streak in club history. Seattle also went 3-0-0 at home during the 2016 MLS Cup Playoffs.
- Friday’s contest marked the 17th scoreless draw in club history in regular-season play.