Big second half leads Huskies over Oral Roberts


SEATTLE, WA— (UW release) The Huskies opened their home slate with a 4-2 win on Sunday against Oral Roberts.

“It was a game of two halves,” said Washington head coach Jamie Clark. “Oral Roberts put together a really good first half and made us uncomfortable in the second half. We really came out on our front foot and took control of the game. We had four goals and we definitely could have had even more. It was a fun game all the way to the end. I give credit to Oral Roberts because up until the last minute when we scored the fourth goal, they were really pushing us and making us uncomfortable.”

Saif Kerawala started for the Huskies in the net. Kyle Coffee and Scott Menzies started at forward. At midfield wasJaret Townsend, Steven Wright, Luke Hauswirth, Henry Wingo and Beau Blanchard. In the back was Justin Fiddes, Quentin Pearson and Justin Schmidt.

The game’s fast tempo was set at kickoff and continued throughout the match. In the first half the first breakthrough moment came from the Golden Eagles’ Colton Haskin, making the score 1-1. Two shots by Coffee and Fiddes in the last ten minutes of the half went high. In between the two offensive opportunities for Washington was a shot from Oral Roberts that was saved by Kerawala.

The final minutes showed promising offensive and defensive performance for the Huskies as they went into the half down at 1-0.

The Huskies brought the heat in the second half as substitute David Coly broke out of the pack and crossed the pitch for an unassisted goal in the 47th minute. Coly continued to play an integral role on the offense when he set up an assist for Mason Robertson, who scored from inside the 18.

Now up 2-1, the Huskies continued to create scoring opportunities offensivly as they saw shots from Wingo and Coffee. Oral Roberts answered Robertson’s goal and found the back of the net in the 70th minute, tying the score at 2-2.

With only twenty minutes remaining in regulation, the Huskies had to find an opportunity to take the lead once again. Robertson found the back of the net for the second time in the match with help from Coly and substituteHandwalla Bwana.

In the dying seconds of the game Coffee extended the lead 4-2 following a goal kick from Kerawala.

Important notes:

Saif Kerawala made his career debute for the purple and gold. He ended the match with four saves.

Mason Robertson‘s two goals totaled to his third in two games. He leads the team in goals and points for the season.

David Coly‘s assist marked his second assist and fourth point of the season.

Kyle Coffee‘s goal was one of five shots taken in the match.

Other shots in the match came from Steven Wright (1), Beau Blanchard (1), Justin FIddes (2), Jaret Townsend (1),Henry Wingo (1) and Handwalla Bwana (1).

For continued coverage on the Husky Men’s Soccer Team, follow on Twitter and Instagram at @uw_msoccer, on Facebook at Washington Husky Men’s Soccer and at


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: